Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Easy Breezy Cornbread


On the fly, on the go - my motto during weeks of travel. And a week of travel awaits me! While I may be wandering off to the edge of the Midwest this next while, my heart and thoughts will be with baking. Sometimes I lay in an anonymous hotel room daydreaming of the next dish I plan to whip up upon my return home or showcase at an upcoming Shire-inspired event (Shire being my pet nickname for Eugene). This batch of cornbread was a very last minute idea, based off of a friend's amazing vegan cornbread recipe utilizing coconut milk and a sale on Bob's Red Mill products as my local grocery store.
 

What can I say? Yes, it is very much what I call a cheat recipe. Cheating in that the main staple isn't made from scratch, in this case being the cornbread mix. While I am a big supporter of eating the least processed food possible, especially packaged mixes, I trust Bob's Red Mill products to deliver good results. And I was pressed for time (who isn't these days??). The end result was scrumptious! And transformed into perfect cornbread stuffing as an upcycled leftovers dish. Enjoy!

Easy Breezy Cornbread
1 package of Cornbread Mix, such as Bob's Red Mill
1 1/2 c light coconut milk
2 tbsp canned diced green chilis
2 tbsp olive oil
2 eggs
1/4 c corn, frozen or fresh

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease an 8"x8" or 9"x9" baking dish.

Loosely following the directions for the cornbread mix, mix eggs, olive oil, coconut milk and green chilis together. Then incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, adding the corn along the way, and stir until mixed.

Pour the batter into the greased pan and bake as directed by the cornbread mix (usually around 30 minutes) or until a tester comes out clean when tested in the center.

No comments:

Post a Comment