local butcher here in town who has a reputation for their good meats and cuts. Upon our last visit, we picked up a four-pack of locally made brats which turned into the foundation of this recipe. Cooking brats is an easy process, if you remember one thing: slow cook them. This particular batch happened to be apple sage brats, which I thought would work beautifully in a bath of hoppy IPA and apples. I was too lazy (i.e. sick) to dig out the crock pot so instead I opted for cooking them on low heat for a few hours on my stove top.
Adapted From: Slow Cooker Bratwurst & Apples
- 4 uncooked bratwurst links (locally made is best)
- 2 medium apples, chopped (I used one golden and one granny)
- 1/2 medium white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, smashed and diced
- 2 cans of IPA (I used Shiva IPA, pretty hoppy)
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. spicy brown mustard (the kind with the big mustard seeds)
- dash of salt and pepper
Place the brats, apples, onion, and garlic in a lightly greased large sauce pan. Add the beer, brown sugar, mustard, salt and pepper. Gently stir.
Cover and cook on low to medium heat for 2-3 hours, or until the meat is done (160 degrees F).
Serve warm over roasted potatoes and veggies. Try not to eat them all at once!!