Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The New Garden


It's been a bit quiet of late around this blogging corner. There has been a big influx of change here on the  urban homestead, the first and foremost being this year's garden!


If I haven't been as social these past few weeks, it's likely because I have been tilling earth trying to make something of the yard. So far I have in the ground or in pots strawberries, raspberries, tomatoes, potatoes, pumpkin, squash, zucchini, peppers, lettuce, chard, garlic, chives, onions, marigolds, peas (above), pole beans, cucumbers, kohlrabi, and cabbage. Not to mention my herb garden, which I added more thyme and lavender to this past weekend.


I'm blessed in that one of my neighbors a few streets over runs a beautiful nursery and garden center of sorts from her home. I picked up quite a few of my new starts from her and can't wait for more. This Anna Russian tomato plant is one...an heirloom variety from a Russian immigrant handed down over generations. How rad is that?!


One of my mantras this year is companion planting. For instance, not planting my tomatoes near my cabbage or using marigolds to deter pests in the garden. Organic gardening is very important on this urban farm, so I try to use alternative methods for keeping pests at bay and encouraging healthy growth of my plants.


My first harvest of the season - radishes! And from two-year old seed. Next up, I'm hoping to harvest a few young potatoes from the potato bins and maybe some garlic. If you live in town, let's be garden trading friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment