Friday, January 7, 2011

Warm Artichoke Spinach Dip


It is definitely still winter in Oregon! A beautiful hike today proved true of this. Just check out the snow! You can barely see the trail.


Just had to throw in the waterfall shot. :)

Day 6 of my cleanse and I want food. All the time. Lots of it, the greasier the better. Seriously, what the hell was I thinking doing this thing? Note to anyone out there contemplating a cleanse - make sure you are in the right mindset to tackle something like this; and if you are a super active person, watch your calorie intake. Enough said!


Last month for the first round of the Beer Olympics, I made a batch of one of my most favorite appetizers - Artichoke Spinach Dip! Nom, nom, nom. Wow, my stomach is growling now... This is a perfect comfort food dish for winter. If I weren't on this stupid cleanse right now, I would be shoveling this into my mouth by the chip load!


It's a fairly easy recipe, with plenty of room to make modifications. I usually make mine the night before, let things stew, then pop it in the oven to serve. It's chalk full of cheese and other deliciously bad things for you, however you can opt for the low fat route by buying low fat mayo and cheeses. At this point though, I would go full steam!


After mixing all the ingredients together, you throw it in a baking dish.


Add more cheese, and bake until bubbly and scrumptious! Notice you don't see a fully cooked picture of this dish? Yeah, that's my fault. I was so eager to get it over to the Beer Olympics that I forgot to take a final shot! Bad Panda. However, I am sure you can imagine this slightly browned, crispy on top, and chalk full of cheese bubbles. Enjoy!

Artichoke Spinach Dip
  • 1-10 ounce package of frozen spinach, thawed and drained
  • 1-14 ounce can of artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained, and chopped
  • 1/2 cup of mayo, low-fat to reduce calories if desired 
  • 1/4 cup of sour cream, low-fat to reduce calories if desired 
  • 1 tsp. dried basil
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1 tsp. dried thyme 
  • 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (more if you like extra cheesy dip)
  • 1/4 cup grated romano cheese (more if you like extra cheesy dip)
  • 1-3 cloves of minced or pressed garlic
  • Shredded mozzarella for topping
  • Red pepper flakes for topping 

1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a baking dish with a lid, mix together everything except the last two ingredients. Lightly sprinkle the mozzarella and red pepper flakes over the top. Lightly salt and pepper to taste (remember the cheeses are fairly salty in flavor).
3. Bake until heated through and bubbly, usually 25-30 minutes. Remove the covering the last 5-10 minutes of baking to crisp the top. Cool for a few minutes and eat while warm! Tortilla chips or crackers good well with this dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment