Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Breakfast Smoothie


Day 3 of the cleanse and I am feeling a little...well, frumpy. Tired, can feel the detoxing happening throughout my body, and the newest kicker is my insanely vivid dreaming. Last night I had a dream within a dream, which was more surreal than I can express (yes, it was weird like the movie Inception). Am going to blame it on the cleanse.


While the last few days I have had freshly made juice for breakfast, today I opted for a smoothie due to the large amount of cardio and physical activity I planned on doing. Using Joy the Baker's Kale Spinach and Pear Smoothie recipe as a starting point, I tweaked the recipe a bit and omitted the honey to stay in line with my cleanse. I do have to say, drinking a full glass of my breakfast smoothie was quite filling! 


Plus a little shout out to one of my favorite local Eugene breweries, Ninkasi. If I can't drink their tasty brew while on the cleanse, at least I can drink out of one of their pint glasses. :)

Breakfast Smoothie
Adapted from: Kale Spinach and Pear Smoothie
  • Half a ripe avocado
  • Half a pear 
  • A handful of fresh spinach
  • One large leaf of chard (any kind)
  • One banana (you can freeze the banana if you like a colder style smoothie)
  • 1 to 1 1/2 cups of cold almond milk (hazelnut or rice work too) 

Chop of the fruit into large pieces to make the blending easier. Add all items to your blender and process until smooth and bright green. Pour into a glass and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Nice use of Ninkasi glassware, too. :)

    ~Dan

    ReplyDelete