Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Hungarian Mushroom Soup

There is a relationship that exists between food and its patron, or at least I believe that. The acts of preparing a dish, presenting it for consumption, and finally experiencing its intricate flavor index leave a lasting impact upon the eater. Memories are formed, scents are recalled, colors observed, tastes relished. Humans have spent many years developing traditions and holidays because of their relationships with food. The foodie in me loves food not only for its flavors, but also because of the experiences it provides me. An example of such an experience is how I feel after eating Hungarian mushroom soup: instant pick me up. 
Complete side note here, but another example of a relationship I have with food would be my admiration of incorporating beautiful flowers into delicious cocktails. I recently discovered the Peppered Orchid from the local Frankie Bones. Me and my love of vegetation in my cocktails...
Any time I am feeling glum, tired from travel, or maybe just a bit sicky pants I often turn to Hungarian mushroom soup for some encouragement. After a warm bowl or two, I feel like someone has wrapped me in a handmade quilt at my grandmother's house. Add some homemade bread to it and I feel like I can take on the world. Seriously, they should give this stuff out instead of prescriptions at the doctor's office. 
 
Next time you are under the weather or playing nurse maid or maybe just need to use up some mushrooms, give this recipe a try and see how you feel on the other side. Plenty of room to make it dairy-free or low-fat, change up the herbs, and even consider replacing the sour cream with Greek yogurt. Enjoy!

Hugarian Mushroom Soup
Adapted from: Closet Cooking
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 lbs mushrooms, sliced (I used half white and half portobello) 
  • 1/4 cup flour 
  • 1 tbsp paprika
  • 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
  • 2 tsp dried dill
  • tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tsp Braggs 
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 splash lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp fresh purple sage, chopped (optional)

If using portobello mushrooms, de-stem and remove the cap's skin before chopping. Melt the butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat, add the onions and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms have released their liquids and it has evaporated, about 10-15 minutes.

Mix in the flour and paprika and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.

Add the broth, sage, soy sauce, Braggs, and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Season with salt, pepper mix in the sour cream, lemon juice and fresh herbs (dill, sage, oregano all taste amazing) and remove from heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment